Being quite food obsessed - (I don’t love the term ‘foodie’ because I feel like everyone classifies themselves as that these days. And really... I just love to eat…I ain't no food critic professional) - my friends often contact me to ask me recommendations of places to eat. Well, since spending a bit of time in Bali, I’m now getting asked for my favourite places to eat on that sunny, vibrant part of the globe.
Instead of just writing a list of the places I love eating at, I decided to do a blog post on my hot tips and favourite spots when visiting Bali. I’ve tailored most of my recommendations around Seminyak and Canggu,
then towards the end thrown in a few other hot spots of Bali. Enjoy x
The Spicy Coconut
The Fat Turtle
Milk & Madou
Peloton Super Shop (vegan)
Avocado Cafe (vegan)
Hungry Bird Coffee
Motel Mexicola (a good place to start a loose night)
Boss Man (decadent burgers, chips with truffle, the good stuff)
Trippy Taco (Cheap and delicious)
Hank’s Pizza and Liquor (amazing pizza, espresso martinis and negronis)
La Baracca (Italian)
Metis (french cuisine)
A little bit fancier
If you’re looking to be a little adventurous, try eating at a Warung (where the locals eat.) You’ll see this word everywhere. Basically it means small family owned shop, mostly restaurant or cafe. The best part is… dinner is like $5! Be careful though because these are the kinds of places you’d be more likely to get sick. However, a friend of mine lives there and she’s written up her recommends just for you.
So rest assured, these are test and trialled - you it’ll be safe here 😉
- Warung Dua Umalas
- Warung Murah for Nasi Campur - Jalan Petitenget (No MSG, delicious)
- Warung Yes - Jalan Raya Pererenan (past Canggu)
- Warung Bambu – end of Jalan Sunset
- Vinny's Warung - Jalan Pantai Berawa, just opened and is completely vegan. and completely gluten free. Most indonesian vegetable dishes are vegan, maybe that’s something that you're interested in to add.
- Warung Blanjong - Sanur (kinda far for the Canggu crowd for sure but hands down one of the freshest Nasi Campur places on the island.
- Made's Warung - an institution. Been open for over 25 years and is my favourite place to take people who have never eaten Indonesian food before. It really is a great way to introduction, clean and tasty (Jalan Raya Basangkasa - so Seminyak)
- Pondok Duo - end of Jalan Sunset (not Sunset Boulevard) it is Padang food which is not your typical Balinese Nasi Campur place, it is a cuisine that hails from a different region of Indonesia (Padang, Sumatra), the flavours are stronger and more "curry"-like. And also, the best hang over food of all time.
WHERE TO DRINK!
- The Lawn (great sunset)
- Old Mans (Bit more of a touristy & ‘ready to party’ crowd)
- Mrs Sippy (Super new. A pool bar instead of beach vibe. Super fun)
- La Laguna (most beautiful & relaxed environment)
- Finns Beach Club (Classic beach bar vibe)
- Ku De Ta (Classic beach bar vibe)
- Potato Head (Classic beach bar vibe)
- La Laguna (Relaxed vibe in super cute outdoor setting)
- Metis (Beautiful, but very more fancy place for a drink)
- Beach Haus (Re-opening Sept 2017)
- Jenja (Proper club)
- Cocoon Beach Club
- Pretty Poison (they have a massive skate ramp, which was a never finished pool for a villa!)
- La Favela (if you’re really drunk and in for a big night)
- Jungle (Super groovy outdoor club, open till 1am - personally I love it)
- Da Maria (Sunday nights go off until late)
- Hacienda (the closest you’ll get to Melbourne’s ‘Revolver’)
WHERE TO STAY?
Ultimately AirBnb is your best bet. The options are endless, and what you can get for a low price is pretty incredible.
Some of the best hotels Bali has to offer:
- The W (Seminyak)
- U Paasha (Seminyak)
- Double Six (Seminyak)
- The Legian (Seminyak)
- Ayana (Jimbaran) then head to Rock Bar
- Anantara (Uluwatu/Seminyak)
- Viceroy (Ubud)
- Mandapa (Ubud)
OTHER PLACES TO SEE
If you’re in Uluwatu make sure you head to Single Fin, best nights are Wednesday & Sunday. You can even get a healthy breakfast there from Coco & Poke. There’s also Bukit Cafe.
Head to Sunday’s Beach Club or Karmas Beach Club.
Echo Beach – try the fresh fish grills at the various restaurants!
Jimbaran (head down there for sunset & check out the amazing seafood restaurants on the sand Some other good spots are Sundara, Opia or Balique)
Nusa Dua - Bumbu, Cut Catch Cucina, Soleil, Kayuputi, Boneka, Niki Beach.
Nusa Lembongan - Panorama Bar (best view), Sandy Bay Beach Club, Muntigs (great restaurant), Indiana Kenanga (French restaurant), Lembongan Beach Club & Resort.
Nusa Ceningan – Le Pirate and “Jenny’s Place” to stay.
Ubud - If you want to take some serious time out, Ubud is one of the most serene and beautiful places I’ve been too. Filled with vegan cafes, yoga studies and rice fields for days, its a great relaxation destination.
WHERE TO EAT
The Fat Turtle
La Pacha Mama
OTHER THINGS TO DO
Check out these waterfalls, Nung Nung & Carat (super high waterfall), Juwuk Manis (for swimming), GitGit (easy to get to), Aling-Aling.
Hike Mount Batur for sunrise, you can get a driver to come and get you from wherever you are staying in Bali or you can stay up in Kintamani for a little bit of cold weather. BUT the Balinese believe that if you climb the mountain with your boyfriend/girlfriend, you WILL break up – so couples beware.
LADIES (& GENTS) - Are you keen for a pampering session? Personally, I wouldn’t say that paying more means better than not in Bali. The local masseuses and beauticians do this for a living, and I have to say, some of the best pampering I’ve had done has cost me less than $10 and is in a small local beautician. Be adventurous and try somewhere you see. However, if you’d like recommendations of some nicer venues, try these:
(all between Seminyak & Canguu - always try and book first)
- Body Works
- Amo Spa
- Think Pink
- Gooseberry Intimates (nail salon)
- Mrs Sippy Day Spa (coming soon)
- Maria Cuaru (nail art)
- Bronz (spray tan and pampering packages at really reasonable prices. Inquire about special microdermabrasion and tan packages. )
GETTING AROUND - Move over taxi's, move over Uber... There's new transport in town. Download the GoJek app now. It's the easiest way to get around when you're in the hustle and bustle of Canggu & Seminyak. You can jump on the back of a bike, instead of getting stuck in all the traffic. It's so fast, and cost no more than a couple dollars. It's very safe too.
If you are jumping in cab, make sure it's a Blue Bird.
NEED TO WORK OUT? Head to Soham Fitness for the gym, a class or a few laps in the pool. Otherwise, Motion Fitness is the best high intensity (yet fun!) classes, tailored towards females. Both in Seminyak.
If you’re in the mood for a quite night, head to the movies. One of the biggest cinemas is at the Beach Walk Shopping Centre in Kuta. Make sure you head straight to Gold Class!
A little bit of action, try out Waterbom Park Kuta, but from what I’ve some of those waterslides are pretty hectic… lets say, completely vertical! Voted the best waterpark in Asia for 5 years in a row!